Groundswell Society Conference Feb 10-11
'Surfing's New Aloha: The Growing Trend of Giving Back'
8 January, 2012 : - - Recently surf companies and professional surfers have added a new dimension to the world of riding waves. The spirit of giving as embodied by Duke Kahanamoku is growing through corporate philanthropy. Growing numbers of professional surfers are making significant efforts to give back to the sport that has been so good to them and the communities that support them.
This is the focus of the Groundswell Society's 10th annual conference, to be held on the campus of San Diego State University in partnership with the newly established Center for Surf Research. The conference will include presentations from leading surf companies, professional surfers, film makers, and non-profit organizations on the growing trend of giving back.
* A special pre-conference screening of the film "Manufacturing Stoke" (an incisive look at surf industry's efforts to initiate new philanthropic and environmental initiatives) is scheduled for Friday night, Feb 10, at 7:30 pm Introduced by Director/Producer.
* On Saturday representatives from Quiksilver, Volcom, Reef, Billabong, Sustainable Surf, SIMA Environmental Fund, and SurfAid International's Schools Program will talk about changing cultures in the surf industry.
* Well-known surfers such as Dave Rastovich and Editor in Chief of Surfing Magazine Taylor Paul will discuss how they have combined professional surfing careers with significant efforts towards taking personal responsibility for a better future for surfing.
* Representatives from leading non-profit environmental and cultural organizations (founded by surfers!) will share information about their organizations and discuss their efforts to grow their operations by tapping into the growing trend of surfers giving back.
* The conference will conclude with the powerful feature length documentary "Minds in the Water", a film about the power of one extraordinary pro surfer to inspire people to take action and make a difference. Director Justin Krumb and Screen Writer Steve Barilotti will be in attendance.
For more information, contact Jess at
or Glenn at
For the online invitation click here http://www.cvent.com/d/9cqk1r/1Q.
To register click here http://www.cvent.com/
Source: Groundswell Society
Author: press release
Tags: Groundswell society