A new book which tells the incredible life stories of the world’s best bodyboarders has just been published. Born to Boogie: Legends of Bodyboarding is the first illustrated history of the sport and traces its evolution from 1971 to the present day.
The pioneers, the champions and the chargers are all profiled, among them Mike Stewart, Ryan Hardy, Michael ‘Eppo’ Eppelstun, Guilherme Tamega, Andre Botha, Damian King, Ben Player, Jeff Hubbard, Mitch Rawlins and Pierre Louis Costes.
Written by respected bodyboard journalist Owen Pye, Born to Boogie reveals how the sport was created, how it developed, flourished, faltered and fought back to become one of the most exciting extreme sports in the world today.
• Nine-times world champ Mike Stewart tells how he started out sweeping the floor at Tom Morey’s bodyboard factory, before working his way up to become Morey’s protégé and eventually the greatest bodyboarder in the world.
• South African charger Andre Botha describes the day he survived the worst wipeout in contest history at maxed-out Teahupoo.
• Jeff Hubbard recalls how he and his mates launched the seminal No Friends brand from a garage with just a fistful of dollars.
• Damian King talks about his troubled childhood and how his mother's death inspired him to win a world title.
• Aussie innovator Eppo tells how he perfected the ARS and the backflip in the early 1990s, and why he kept the latter secret for months.
Born To Boogie also includes chapters that re-live the excitement of two of the most dramatic contests in the history of the sport: the 2000 Tahiti Skins event and the 2001 Shark Island Challenge. The Tahiti contest, held in monstrous waves at Teahupoo, changed competitive bodyboarding forever. "The waves were like nuclear bombs going off," remembers Saffa charger Alistair Taylor, "you could've got killed in that stuff!"
A separate chapter in the book is devoted to the growth of women's professional bodyboarding from the 1990s to the present day, led by standouts Stephanie Pettersen, Daniela Freitas, Claudia Ferrari, Neymara Carvalho and Isabela Sousa. Filled with incredible stories spanning four decades and packed with iconic images, Born to Boogie is a must-have book for any bodyboarder.